SANCTUARY OF ST. JOSEPH IN PRUDNIK

The Sanctuary of St. Joseph in Prudnik - Lesie, part of the Friars Minor Monastery complex, is undoubtedly the most important religious site in Prudnik. Built in the Prudnik forest, it is famous primarily for being the place where Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński was interned from 1954 to 1955. The first monastery and chapel were consecrated in 1852, the new church of St. Joseph was built in 1867, and then in 1900, the monastery opened its doors to the monks. In subsequent years, the monastery complex was expanded, including the addition of the Stations of the Cross, the Lourdes Grotto and the organist's house. The monastery's fate was mixed, with the Franciscans abandoning it several times before finally returning in 1957.