CHURCH OF DISCOVERY OF THE HOLY CROSS IN SIDZINA

The Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross and Our Lady of Częstochowa in Sidzina is referred to by local residents as the "church in the field" due to its location. Situated among fields and meadows, the temple is located just off the main road leading from Opole to Nysa, approximately 1.5 kilometres from the town itself. Its tall, distinctive neo-Gothic tower and Greek cross layout attract many travellers, who stop there for a short break out of curiosity. This unusual monument of religious architecture was built in 1873 on the site of an old chapel, probably dating from 1680. There are several legends and tales associated with the site, and as anyone would tell you, there is always a grain of truth in those. One of them is the story of the very origins of this place. Apparently, a farmer once found a cross there, which he decided to donate to the local church. Yet, for reasons unknown, the cross was found again in its original location, in the field. This happened twice, and the locals interpreted it as a divine sign and decided to build a chapel there. This fact is evidenced by the tympanum, made using the sgraffito technique. Over time, the "church in the field" became a place of pilgrimage for local people, as well as a meeting spot for lovers.